The Tunica-Biloxi Tribe received the 2020 Indian Children & Youth Program:
Accessing Choices in Education (ACE) grant from the US Department of Education. Our grant project is entitled Tunica-Biloxi Education Program (TBEP) to Improve Academic Success & Career Readiness. The grant allows the Tribe to expand educational services to tribal youth in grades K-12 and provide in-person and virtual services regardless of residence as well as fund the providers needed to enact those services.
Goal 1: Tribal Youth – Improve Tunica-Biloxi tribal student academic performance by increasing educational choices from a comprehensive poo of culturally appropriate education services and service providers.
Goal 2: Tribal Parents – Increase educational choices for parents by providing a comprehensive pool of culturally appropriate education services and service providers.
Goal 3: Tribal Youth with Disabilities Support Tribal Youth with Disabilities (i.e., mental, physical, and substance abuse) in overcoming barriers to educational attainment and improving academic performance of the students.
The Education Department (TBED) has selected three parent liaisons: one from Chicago, Houston and Marksville to coordinate communication with parents of students. Parent Liaisons will gather direct parent feedback during planning and throughout project implementation; engage parents, students, and community members in the planning and development of public information education materials; and coordinate meetings between Parents and TBED staff to ensure ongoing input on services to meet their children’s needs. Liaisons and TBED will reach out to Tunica-Biloxi families to enroll students in the program.
The ACE Grant began October 1, 2020, with a 6-month planning period to organize staffing, communications, parent input, service provider contracts, and parent selection of student services. Student services will commence April 1, 2021.
The new ACE Grant (Accessing Choices in Education) emphasizes parent involvement in selecting student education services and providing ongoing input on the effectiveness of the services and the entities that provide those services. The ACE Grant funds a valuable resource for students and families with the support from the TBED.
Join our quest for educational excellence and remember, Knowledge is Power!
- Parents will select student educational services from a master list provided by the Tunica-Biloxi Education Department (TBED).
- Five TBED Academic Counselors will work with students and parents to identify opportunities for improved academic performance and articulate individual student plans to prepare them for college or career after graduation. One Counselor is stationed in Chicago and Houston and three counselors in Marksville.
- TBED Resource Centers will be located at branch offices in Chicago and Houston and the CERC building in Marksville.
- Three Parent Liaisons will assist the TBED in keeping channels of communication open with parents at timely and regular intervals. There will be one Parent Liaison in Chicago, Houston, and Marksville.
- TBED resources support students who are struggling in school AND students who want to excel and get a running start on post-secondary education, career selection, or military service.